Sunday 19 December 2010

Almost "just another day"

I want to write about me and thought if I create a blog then it will be more fashionable or perhaps some people might even read about me.
My not so famous biography!

A friend asked me when do I stop ticking the box where it says "widow" and start putting an "x" in the box where it says "single". I don't know. I have no idea when one changes the status. When one feels ready perhaps? I don't know.  I would like to think I am ready.

I lost my husband to cancer in April 2009.  We got married in December 1998 and would celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary this December. Instead I'm ticking the "widow" box and still cook for 2 as can't get used to cooking for 1!  Plus supermarkets should have more "dinner for 1" meals:)
I still wear my engagement and the wedding ring and when asked what my husband does for living I talk about him like he was alive.
Is easier this way as people don't know how to react when I tell them I'm a widow. I tried to tell the truth and was greeted by "oh", "sad", "really" or just "sorry" and conversations end and awkward silence falls. So then I put a brave face on and say: "that's OK, I'm fine" and feel like I have to cheer them up instead.
I'm too young to be a widow but yet it happens. Or I'm not young or old, bad age to be a widow.
I try not to give up and stay strong or I believe that is the case.


I am 36 and today is or would have been our 12th wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment